Injured in a motorcycle accident?
Call The Heavy HittersTM!
Award-winning Sacramento Motorcycle Accident Attorneys
Motorcycle accident injuries can cause lifelong disabilities, changing the way you live your daily life. In addition, medical treatment can cost thousands of dollars. Your insurance may not cover the majority of your motorcycle accident expenses.
Curtis Legal Group can help you recover compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, and other damages. We understand the severity and complexity of motorcycle accident cases and what that means for you and your family’s future.
If you have been injured in a motorcycle accident, you need an experienced California motorcycle accident lawyer by your side.
Motorcycle Accident Table of Contents
- Why Do You Need a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in California?
- What Types of Compensation Can a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in California Recover?
- What Are the Benefits of Working with a Motorcycle Accident Attorney in California?
- What Injuries Are Associated with Motorcycle Collisions?
- Are Motorcycle Accidents Common in California?
- How Are Most Motorcycle Accidents Caused?
- What Should You Do if You Are Injured in a Motorcycle Accident in California?
Motorcycle Accidents: Frequently Asked Questions
Why Do You Need a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in California?
Motorcycle injury claims in California are challenging. Severe bodily damage is common in motorcycle accidents, leading to expensive settlements. Insurance companies can make it difficult for injured riders to receive the compensation they deserve.
Your Claim May be Denied, Delayed, or Minimized
Insurance companies may avoid paying your claim by using unsavory methods, including:
- Offering less than you need to cover your medical bills and/or related expenses
- Denying a legitimate claim, forcing you to navigate a difficult appeals process
- Using unfair delay tactics, prolonging the claims process by several months
The injuries sustained in a California motorcycle accident often result in massive medical bills, including ongoing treatment. Without a skilled trial attorney, the insurance company may try to settle your injury claim for as little as possible. You may be left to shoulder the burden of most, if not all, expenses related to the motorcycle accident.
The Financial Stakes Are Higher
Motorcycle accident injuries are usually more severe, leading to higher financial stakes in a personal injury claim. Bikers are exposed to the elements and left to bear the brunt of a collision’s impact. Motorcycle accident victims may suffer traumatic brain injuries, internal injuries, or even lose a limb. In many cases, injured riders will need long-term medical treatment.
In addition, hurt motorcyclists may not be able to work for several months. If the injuries are catastrophic, victims may not be able to return to their previous employment at all. Bikers may be entitled to recover lost wages as well as loss of future earnings as a result of a negligent roadway accident.
Financially higher claims may be subject to increased scrutiny from insurance adjusters. Companies are more likely to fight larger claims in court rather than offer a fair settlement. Medical records are likely to be heavily inspected.
If you or a loved one have been hurt, our experienced California motorcycle accident lawyers will fight to ensure you receive full compensation for your damages.
What Types of Compensation Can a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in California Recover?
Motorcycle accident attorneys can recover a wide range of economic and non-economic damages for injury victims. Economic damages involve tangible expenses like a hospital bill. Non-economic damages consist of intangible losses, such as the physical and emotional pain a victim experiences during the crash and while in recovery.
Some examples of recoverable damages in a motorcycle accident case include:
- Compensation for medical bills, like doctors’ visits and physical therapy
- Lost wages if a claimant is unable to work
- Loss of future income if the claimant becomes disabled
- Other medical expenses, like mobility equipment or home modifications
- Emotional distress damages
- Loss of enjoyment of life damages
- Pain and suffering damages
- Possible punitive damages
Every collision is unique and each injury victim’s case may qualify for different damages. Consult with a personal injury lawyer in California to see what damages you may be entitled to claim.
What Are the Benefits of Working with a Motorcycle Accident Attorney in California?
When contacting Curtis Legal Group, you will consult with top-rated motorcycle accident attorneys in California. With our team by your side, we will:
- Investigate the collision to determine who should be held accountable for your injuries
- Gather critical evidence, including medical records and police reports
- Prepare the extensive paperwork and handle the claims process
- Retain investigators and experts to support your claim
- Negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf
While many motorcycle crash cases are settled out of court, taking your case to trial may be necessary. Our attorneys are highly skilled litigators who will fight adamantly for the result you deserve. Our experienced staff will handle every aspect of your case so you can focus on healing.
What Injuries Are Associated with Motorcycle Collisions?
Bikers are often severely injured in California motorcycle accidents because they do not have the same structural protections as a car. Many common injuries motorcyclists suffer in collisions are debilitating or fatal.
Broken bones, dislocated and sprained joints, internal bleeding, and punctured organs are common. Bikers often suffer two blows in a collision – being hit by the force of the car and the impact of hitting the pavement. Both can also cause severe spinal cord injuries that often lead to partial or permanent paralysis. Even with a helmet, victims can suffer severe head trauma, leading to lifelong cognitive disabilities.
The most common injuries sustained by motorcyclists include:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Severe road rash
- Muscle damage
- Severe burns
- Crush injuries or crush syndrome
- Amputations or loss of limb
- Internal organ damage
- Broken or fractured bones
- Spinal cord damage
Some motorcycle collisions end in tragedy with a fatality. If you lost a loved one in a motorcycle accident, you may have the right to recover different and additional damages in a wrongful death claim.
At Curtis Legal Group, we understand no amount of compensation can ease the loss of a loved one. However, surviving family members are often struck by unexpected expenses. We can help you recover the funds to cover medical, funeral, and/or burial costs, among other losses.
Your family deserves closure. Our wrongful death attorneys in California can help.
Are Motorcycle Accidents Common in California?
California roads see nearly 500 motorcycle accident fatalities per year. While motorists are required to look for motorcycle riders, many drivers fail to do so.
According to the Insurance Information Institute, in the last reporting year:
- More than 83,000 motorcycle riders were injured
- Nationwide, approximately 5,500 bikers were killed
- The majority of motorcycle riders are hit by a car between 3:00 pm and 6:00 pm
Over 25 percent of motorcycle rider deaths occur in the late afternoons on weekdays. Motorists must actively watch for bikers at all times.
How Are Most Motorcycle Accidents Caused?
Most motorcycle accidents are caused by negligence. Motorists may fail to yield the right-of-way to a biker or follow a rider too closely. While there are several reasons motorcycle accidents occur, the most common causes involve the following:
- Distracted driving
- Excessive speeding
- Motorists failing to yield while making a left-hand turn
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Unsafe road conditions
- Motorcycle defects
Some motorcycle accidents are caused by dangerous road hazards or defective bike parts. In those incidents, a victim may be able to file a personal injury claim with the roadwork company or the motorcycle manufacturer. It is best to speak with a knowledgeable personal injury attorney to determine the liable party or parties so you can achieve maximum financial compensation.
What Should You Do if You Are Injured in a Motorcycle Accident in California?
The aftermath of a collision can leave a biker disoriented and overwhelmed. If you are able, taking the following steps post-accident can ensure your safety and protect your legal rights:
- Get off the road and get to safety
- Leave your protective gear on, including your helmet
- Call 911 or have someone call emergency personnel for you
- If able, take pictures and/or video of the scene, property damage, and your injuries
- Take the contact information of any witnesses
- Obtain a copy of the police report
- Exchange information with the other driver or drivers
If you have been seriously hurt in the motorcycle accident, our legal team can help you obtain the critical evidence you need to prove up your side of the case.
Motorcycle Injuries Frequently Asked Questions
WHAT ARE THE MOST COMMON TYPES OF INJURIES IN MOTORCYCLE ACCIDENTS?
Injuries from motorcycle accidents can include road rash (severe abrasions), broken bones, facial disfigurement, burns, spinal cord injuries, limb amputations, and traumatic brain injuries. Many motorcycle injuries can result in long-term or permanent damage. A victim may require home healthcare.
In addition, serious injuries are often impacted by complications. For example, severe road rash can expose the muscle tissue and leave a motorcycle accident victim susceptible to serious and dangerous infections.
WHO IS AT FAULT IN MOST MOTORCYCLE ACCIDENTS?
Negligent drivers are at fault in most motorcycle accidents. Some common causes include distracted drivers cutting off motorcyclists to make a turn. Nearly 42 percent of motorcycle accidents occur at an intersection where a driver fails to yield to a biker.
Other potentially liable parties include motorcycle and parts manufacturers. If an accident occurs due to a faulty bike tire, for example, the injured rider may be able to file a claim against the tire manufacturer and other responsible parties in the supply chain.
In other cases, a motorcycle accident can be caused by hazardous roadways. If the city is doing roadwork and fails to place adequate signage warning motorists, the city may be held responsible.
HOW LONG DOES A MOTORCYCLE ACCIDENT LAWSUIT TAKE?
It depends on a variety of factors, but the average timeframe for a motorcycle accident lawsuit to be resolved is anywhere from six months to a year.
Variables that may prolong a motorcycle accident claim include:
- The motorcyclist suffered catastrophic injuries
- The responsible driver does not have adequate insurance
- The insurance company refuses to offer a fair settlement, leading to a trial
In California, you have two years from the date of the motorcycle accident to file a civil lawsuit. The success of your case often depends on the skills of your attorney. The sooner you can retain experienced legal counsel, the likelier you are to recover the compensation you deserve.
WHAT IS THE AVERAGE PAYOUT FOR A MOTORCYCLE ACCIDENT IN CALIFORNIA?
It is nearly impossible to determine the average payout for a motorcycle accident in California. The value of a case greatly varies based on a number of factors, including:
- The extent of your injuries
- How your injuries will impact your life in the long run
- If you are able to return to work or find gainful employment after the collision
- If the cause of the accident warrants punitive damages
Punitive damages are different than compensatory damages. While most personal injury claims recover funds to take care of medical bills and pain and suffering, punitive damages are meant to punish wrongdoing and prevent future, similar bad actions.
Contact the Sacramento, CA Motorcycle Accident Attorneys at Curtis Legal Group Today
California law limits the time within which you can file a lawsuit after a motorcycle accident. To prevent your statute of limitations from running out, it is important to contact a California motorcycle accident lawyer as soon as possible.
Curtis Legal Group is here to help you get the financial compensation you deserve after a motorcycle accident. We will represent your best interests and fight for the recovery you need. Our legal team is here to discuss the details of your case today.