Legal FAQs

Q: Do I Need A Lawyer?

A: If you have been injured, you need a medical professional to help you get well. The same is true when it comes to handling the legal part of your accident claim; an experienced lawyer means that your case is handled professionally, that your rights are protected, and that you have taken the right steps toward maximizing your recovery of money from the responsible party.

Q: When Should I Hire A Lawyer?

A: If you have received injuries in an accident, it is important to hire a lawyer as soon as you can. Evidence needs to be secured, witnesses located and interviewed, or other steps taken to help establish your case. The longer you wait, the more difficult it becomes to accomplish these things. There are also deadlines to serve governmental entities with notice of your claim, and deadlines to file your case in court. If you miss these deadlines, your case will be dismissed by the court. An experienced lawyer will make sure these deadlines are not missed.

Q: Who Pays For My Medical Bills?

A: Eventually the person who is responsible for your injuries should pay for your medical bills if they have insurance or other assets. However, they have no duty to advance money or pay for those bills when treatment is received. Therefore, you will be primarily responsible for the bills incurred. If you have medical insurance, it is a good idea to turn those bills into your insurance company, but they may seek to be repaid for those bills at a later time when your case settles or goes to judgment. Also, depending on the type of case it is, there may be separate medical coverages available through either homeowner liability policies or automobile insurance policies.

Q: What If I Do Not Have Medical Insurance?

In some cases a medical specialist will provide services to you if you sign a lien (agreement) to pay for their services when your case resolves. We can help you find health care professionals who will provide services now but wait for the outcome of your case to be paid.

Q: Who Will Pay For My Future Medical Treatment?

Future medical care is an important part of your case in evaluating its settlement value. Personal Injury cases are not like workers’ compensation cases where there can be settlements which leave medical treatments open into the future. When your personal injury case is resolved, the amount reached should take into consideration any reasonable amount which medical specialists indicate will be incurred by you in the future for medical care.

Q: Who Pays For My Lost Wages?

A: Eventually the person responsible for your accident should compensate you for lost wages you incur. However, there is no duty to advance money to you. You should consider applying for State Disability Insurance through the California Employment Development Dept. or contact your employer to see if there is a disability coverage through your employment.

Q: What Is An Uninsured Motorist Claim?

A: An uninsured motorist claim is a claim presented by you for injuries that you have received from an accident caused in whole or in part by an uninsured driver. The claim is asserted against the insurance company that you have or the person whose vehicle you were occupying at the time of the accident.

Q: How Much Will It Cost To Hire Curtis Legal Group To Represent Me?

A: Our fees are usually based on a percentage of your recovery. You don’t pay until we have recovered money for you, and then you only pay a percentage of what is recovered. This allows us to go right to work on your case, and you don’t have to worry about getting a monthly bill for our services.

Q: How Will I Pay For Costs In Prosecuting My Case?

A: Litigation costs, such as court fees, expert witness fees, and other litigation expenses are advanced by our firm. You do not have to pay these costs until your case is concluded by settlement or judgment.

Q: What Can I Do To Protect My Rights?

A: First, follow the steps below then call Curtis Legal Group for help.

  • Consult an attorney immediately.
  • Do not talk to anyone about your accident except your spouse and your lawyer.
  • Do not talk to anyone about your injuries except your spouse, doctor, and lawyer.
  • Do not sign anything relating to your accident until it is reviewed by your lawyer.
  • Consider keeping a journal describing your injuries, how you feel each day, the problems caused by your injuries, and time lost from work because of disability or medical appointments.