What Kind of Compensation Can You Expect After a Car Accident in California?
Being in a car accident can be, at best, an unpleasant experience and, at worst, fatal. In California, there are specific laws related to car accidents that you should be aware of, just in case you get into a wreck. After a car crash, you get one chance to obtain the maximum amount of compensation you deserve for your injuries and any damage done to your vehicle. Hiring an experienced personal injury attorney will be key to procuring a substantial settlement or favorable verdict in your case. Curtis Legal Group has extensive experience successfully litigating motor vehicle accident claims. We are ready to protect your rights to fair compensation.
To ensure you are preserving your legal rights and are able to recover financial damages, you must follow all state laws regarding car accidents. This includes reporting the accident to the California Highway Patrol or local police department within 24 hours if anyone involved was injured or killed. If you are able to, call the police while you are still at the scene of the accident and obtain a copy of the police report. You will also need to make a report to the California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) within 10 days of the accident, outside of the police report, if there were any injuries, fatalities, or property damage worth more than $750. On top of this, you should notify your insurance company as soon as possible that the accident occurred.
California is considered a “comparative fault” state, which means if you were in any way partially responsible for the accident, the damages you can receive may be reduced by the percentage of your own fault. Even if the car accident was not your fault, you could still be found partially liable. There is good news, though, as California does not impose caps on damage awards available in car accident cases as long as the injured party had valid car insurance at the time of the collision. When a person is injured in a car accident and is able to prove another party was responsible, they can pursue economic and non-economic damages. Economic damages are financial costs associated with the car accident, including medical costs and physical damage to the vehicle. Non-economic damages can be awarded for losses that may not have a specific dollar amount but still affect the injured party, including emotional distress, decreased quality of life, loss of companionship, and pain and suffering.
The amount of damages awarded depends on many variables, including:
- How serious your injuries are as documented in your medical records
- Whether your injuries are temporary or permanent
- The total amount of current and future medical expenses related to the accident
- The specific treatments used for your recovery
- How well the doctors think you will recover
- If the car accident resulted in disfigurement or scarring
- Your pain and suffering
- Lost income and wages
- If your injuries have affected your daily life, including work, home life, hobbies, and sports
- If you are unable to provide financially for your family due to your injuries
- If you were partially at fault for the accident
- The other party’s argument as to the cause of the accident
Curtis Legal Group has worked with many car accident victims to obtain fair settlements and jury awards to ensure all of their financial needs were taken care of following an auto accident. Every claim is unique and individual results will vary. The following are some examples of our case results:
- $525,000 for a client hit by a tractor truck that ran a red light
- $350,000 for a car passenger whose driver was driving while distracted and caused a head-on collision
- $385,000 for a client who was hit by a speeding red light runner
- $250,000 for the victims of a head-on collision
- $100,000 for the victim of a highway car accident
In order to maximize your car accident compensation in California, you and your legal team must prove the full extent of your economic and non-economic damages. This takes time, resources, and skilled car accident attorneys that can gather compelling documentation and expert testimony to prove your claim.
California Car Accident Attorneys
We know just how awful a traumatic experience like a car accident can be for you and your family. You can trust Curtis Legal Group to handle all the legal aspects of your case so you can focus on healing. Many roadway accidents are caused by reckless drivers and our legal team will make sure to hold the responsible parties accountable. Contact us if you or a loved one were injured in a car accident and want to discuss the next steps. Under the law, there is limited time to make a claim, so contact us today!