How Lawyers Can Help Victims of Catastrophic Injuries
How does California law define a catastrophic injury? It is one that prevents someone from performing their job and detrimentally affects the victim’s daily life and overall quality of life. Based on data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), annually in the United States, there are 24.8 million physician office visits for unintentional injuries and 97.9 million emergency room visits. Catastrophic injuries unfortunately result 200,955 overall deaths, with this cause of death ranking fourth in the U.S.
What are the Most Common Catastrophic Injuries?
Common catastrophic injuries can include:
- Concussions (MTBI) or traumatic brain injuries (TBI)
- Other brain injuries resulting in permanent cognitive impairment, physical disability, and/or mood imbalance
- Spinal cord injuries
- Serious head or skull fractures
- Broken bones
- Paralysis, including paraplegia and quadriplegia
- Loss of bodily function or limb, resulting in amputation
- Loss of or damage to hearing or vision
- Chronic lung damage, such as from asbestos
- Scarring or disfigurement
- Temporary or permanent disability
- Third-degree burns
What are the Most Common Causes of a Catastrophic Injury?
California lawyers can help victims who have suffered from catastrophic injuries because of someone else’s negligence.
These severe injuries can commonly be caused by:
- Auto accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Truck or big-rig accidents
- Bicycle or pedestrian accidents
- Uber or Lyft ridesharing accidents
- Construction site accidents
- Workplace accidents
- Heavy machinery accidents
- Severe dog bites
- Premises liability accidents
- Slips, trips, and falls
Who Can Victims of Catastrophic Injuries File a Lawsuit Against?
There are various individuals and/or entities that could be held responsible for causing catastrophic injuries in California. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Business owners and operators
- Animal and dog owners
- Product manufacturers
- Property owners and private landowners
- Corporations and partners
What are the Benefits of a Lawyer for Catastrophic Injury Cases?
A personal injury attorney can help immensely when a person with catastrophic injuries needs to bring a claim, make a demand, and/or file a lawsuit, including:
- Leading an investigation into who all liable parties may be, which includes gathering critical evidence and/or finding experts to professionally interpret the evidence and explain it to the judge and/or jury.
- Interviewing the accident victims and their family members to procure detailed facts.
- Filing the catastrophic injury claim with the insurance companies of all liable parties.
- Managing any ongoing medical bills, treatment, and expenses.
- Filing a demand letter for the victim to inform the liable party they plan to file a personal injury claim to seek reimbursement.
How Can Lawyers Help Victims of Catastrophic Injuries Get Compensation?
California personal injury lawyers are vital to helping victims successfully file lawsuits and bring personal injury claims. They also help victims maximize their potential financial recovery, including but not limited to damages for:
- Lost earning capacity and lost wages
- Medical expenses
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Punitive damages, if applicable
If those catastrophic injuries lead to death, a personal injury attorney can help the victim’s family and/or the representative of the decedent’s estate to file a wrongful death lawsuit against the liable party or parties for causing the fatal accident, which means they could cover expenses or pay out compensation for other types of damages, which include:
- Loss of the deceased’s income
- Burial and funeral expenses
- Loss of the deceased’s support and companionship
Additional Benefits of Working with a Catastrophic Injury Attorney
For their physical and financial protection, it is in the best interest of victims suffering from a catastrophic injury in California to seek the guidance of a personal injury attorney. This type of legal representation comes at no financial risk to the plaintiff because our catastrophic injury lawyers offer free case evaluations and work on a contingency fee basis, meaning you owe us nothing unless and until we recover financial compensation on your behalf. Whether or not the victim seeking legal help decides to follow through with filing a lawsuit, any communication between an attorney and their clients is privileged, so nothing said in a consultation can be disclosed without the client’s permission.
Additional benefits of working with a catastrophic injury attorney include their knowledge of:
- The hidden value within these cases which will increase a victim’s compensation
- The ability to hold parties liable for paying for their share of an accident’s costs
- How to negotiate with insurance adjusters and insurance companies.
- Overseeing all of the complex details every step of the way, allowing the victim to focus on healing from their injuries
If you or someone you care about has been injured due to the fault of another party, please reach out to a member of our legal team as soon as possible.